Sunday, October 23, 2011

Anime Review No. 11-Spectral Force (1998-99 OVA)

Hello, this is the Eclectic Dude.
I review it for the lolz (Or not, given the title this week).
So, to close out Video Game Adaptation Month, the final title I am looking at is Spectral Force.

This OVA comes from the late 1990s and is brought to us by Idea Factory, the same company that made the game of the same name.
And it is one of the worst anime titles ever. I included this in my list of "5 Worst Anime Titles I've Ever Seen". I am justified to say that. Why, u may ask? Well, I'll tell you.

For one thing, it makes no sense whatsoever. I watched it once all the way through, tried to watch it a second time and couldn't get past 10 minutes. That's how bad it is. It is also a piece of crap. The only good scene was the first one; after that it's all downhill real fast from there.

The plot is well, rather vague. It apparently involves a war between demons and humans. Main character is Hiro, a half-human/half-demon princess who has an internal conflict. This would be a good story, but it is drawn down by one thing-the art design and visuals.

Visuals for this OVA are crap. It is an awful meld of CGI and cel animation. It feels watching cutscenes of a video game-minus the video game. The CGI looks ok, even from the late '90s.

Final Score is 2/10. The only good things about Spectral Force is its length and voice acting (Eng. Dub). It is only 2 episodes long, though that doesn't make it any less painful. Secondly, the English voice actors do a good job, despite the material. Avoid Spectral Force at all costs.

Next week I'm reviewing Master of Mosquiton, something that is better. Expect it here some time between Saturday and Monday (Halloween Night).  









No comments: