Sunday, September 11, 2011

Anime Review No. 5-Plastic Little

Hi all, Im the Eclectic Dude and I review it for the lolz (good lord i gotta come up with a better catchphrase)



Anyway, this week's entry is Plastic Little. Its a 45 minute OVA (or short film I prefer) from 1994, made by KSS and presented by Movic and Sony. It was licensed and distributed by ADV Films. Original story was done by Satoshi Urashihara. The only actual sequel to this short film is a 1 volume manga, published by CPM Manga (surprisingly as they didn't release many titles in their time of operation). Of course, I will be talking about the OVA in this review.

Now, the plot of Plastic Little, well, let's consult the back of the DVD shall we?
It says "Narrowly escaping the clutches of Lord Guizel and his band of professional killers, Elysse Mordish is on the run and in possession of of a vital computer code to reactivate a high-powered secret weapon. Enter Tita, intergalactic pet shop hunter, and captain of the Cha Cha Maru. Through shear dumb luck she finds herself rescuing Elysee from military hunters thus putting the lives of both herself and her crew in mortal peril. It's a dangerous game of cat and mouse on a planet-wide scale with one crucial difference....mice don't shoot back, but Tita does!"

Now that is a pretty good summation if I do say so myself. It is essentially a blend of sci-fi action adventure with dashes of ecchi and yuri (heavily implied, mind you). In terms of sci-fi, there isn't much technobabble (gravity belts and cloud whales mostly). The plot is an action/adventure story (with plenty of bloody violence). Finally, the yuri subtext between Elysee and Tita is a nice additive to this wonderful story.
Also, the ecchi is not as overblown as it could have been (there's one bath scene with Tita and Elysee and some boob jiggles), as it serves as an example of using fanservice only when crucial.

Now, this is an OVA I like quite a lot. Of course, one might wonder given the short length (its actually around 43.5 minutes long, 45 with the credits added). But in this case, it works. The wonderful pacing allows the story to fit rather nicely within the short time frame. There is not a lot of fillers, aside from the bath scene, which barely qualifies.
The English dub is very good. It was done by the early ADV cast, like Amanda Winn Lee, Tiffany Grant, Marcy Rae, Spike Spencer, etc. The only quip i got is that some of them decide on adopting pesky accents, which I found a tad unneccessary. Still, it is pretty good. Music is very nice, appropriate to the scenes.
Now, the only real downside to this OVA is the animation. Being from 1994, the visuals look rather good but haven't aged that well. Of course, being a fan of old school 90s anime, I like the story enough that I can get past this minor quip.

Final Score is 8/10. It is well executed short film with something for nearly everyone, be it action/adventure or sci-fi or fanservice even. Besides a few quips in terms of animation and eng. dub track, it is very very good. I highly recommend it.

Now, next I'll post my List of 5 Worst Anime I've Seen. I am going to go with 5 as I tend to avoid bad anime, though I've watched a few in my years of anime viewing. Expect to come before end of the week, then this weekend I'll post my next anime review

Laterz, space cowboy lol

No comments: